reflections on Brown Nation
keynotes, speeches &
poetry readings with energy
* Born in El Salvador, grew up in housing projects, knew no English, now is a professor with a Ph.D. in English
* Featured in nationally syndicated show, American Latino TV
* 2009 AAHHE Outstanding Latino Faculty of the Year
* 2006 NEATE Poet of the Year
* Author of Poetry Collection, Toys Made of Rock
* 2003 National Association of Multicultural Education CT Faculty of the Year
* Featured in Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
* Appeared as guest poet on Univision
* 2012 Fulbright Scholar
* Experienced, popular keynote speaker for Hispanic Heritage Month events at colleges, universities, and organizations throughout the U.S.
"Thank you for your humanity, your warmth, ... everybody was buzzing about your presentation."
Professor Kevin McGarvey, Cumberland County College
"Your presentations aren't simply lectures--they're events!"
Julie Johnson, University of Nevada Las Vegas
"There was never a dull moment. I had nothing but great feedback from the people who attended this event."
David Collazo, Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
"There have been sooooooo many great comments. Everyone loved you .... you really entertained people and engaged them."
Juanita Campbell-Heredia, Union Latina, Allegheny College
Biographical Information: Jose B. Gonzalez was born in San Salvador, El Salvador and immigrated to New London, Connecticut at the age of eight. He knew no English and now holds a Ph.D. in English. A nationally known speaker, Gonzalez has presented at various colleges such as Harvard and Cornell University; countries including Mexico, Spain, and El Salvador; and institutions and organizations including the Smithsonian Latino Center, the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian, and Proskauer Rose International Law Firm. He has been a contributor to National Public Radio and has published poetry in such journals as Quercus Review, Callaloo, The Teacher's Voice, Palabra, Acentos Review, and Colere, and anthologies including Coloring Book, Nantucket: A Collection, and Latino Boom: An Anthology of U.S. Latino Literature, which he also co-edited. He
has received national and regional awards for his teaching, for his
efforts to improve the conditions of Latinos pursuing a college degree
or a career in higher education, and for his poetry. He is the author of the poetry collection, Toys Made of Rock (Bilingual Press) and the
founder and editor of LatinoStories.Com.
Jose infuses his presentations with a mix of poetry, humor and social commentary. He holds a Master's in Teaching English from Brown University and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rhode Island and is an alumnus of Sandra Cisneros' Macondo Writers Workshop.
For information on scheduling him for a speaking engagement, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
He is available for the following keynote lectures, presentations, and workshops (as well as for poetry readings) and other talks, as requested:
* From No-English to Professor of English: What Educators Should Know About a Former ESOL Student's Journey
* Latino, Hispanic, Latin American: And What Difference Does It Make Anyway? (Ideal for Hispanic Heritage Month and other culture-themed functions)
* And I Thought Aliens Didn't Eat Rice and Beans: The Evolution of the Word "Alien"
* Poetry Readings and Customized Presentations on Latino Literature and Culture
Notable Readings or Presentations:
Here is a sampling of past presentations:
* Featured Poet, Smithsonian National Museum of African Art. Smithsonian Latino Center Young Ambassadors Program. Washington D.C.
* Keynote Speaker, University of New Haven, Latin American Students Association (LASA), CT
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Rutgers University, NJ
* Featured Poet, Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, Washington D.C.
* Featured Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Baker Botts International Law Firm, TX
* Keynote Speaker, Fairfield University, CT
* Proskauer Rose International Law Firm, NY
* Keynote Speaker. CT Immigrant Day Ceremony
* Featured Poet, Floricanto Poetry Festival, Barcelona, Spain
* Featured Speaker, University of Florida (largest student-run U.S. Hispanic Heritage celebration)
* Featured Speaker, Harvard University East Coast Chicano Student Forum Conference
* Featured Speaker, 6th Annual Latino Ivy League Conference, Cornell University
* Featured Poet Representing the U.S., El Salvador International Festival
* Featured Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX
* Featured Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Mountain View College, Dallas, TX
* Featured Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Raritan Valley Community College, NJ
* Featured Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Greenfield Community College, MA
* Keynote Speaker, Plattsburgh State University Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration, NY
* Panelist, Connecticut Book Festival
* Featured Reader, A Multilingual Reading in New York City
* Featured Reader, Connecticut Book Festival
* Featured Poet, Expressiones Cultural Center, CT
* Featured Poet, Julia de Burgos Park, CT
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Pittsburg State University, KS
* Reader, Poetry Center in PCCC, Paterson, NJ
* Panelist, Modern Language Association Convention, PA
* Keynote Speaker, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Washington DC
* Presenter, Undocumented Hispanic Migration Conference, Connecticut College
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Allegheny College, PA
* Featured Poet. New York Bowery Poetry Club, NY. Acentos Review Anniversary
* Featured Poet, University of Connecticut Avery Point
* Panelist, College Board Educating Latinos Preparate Conference, FL
* Featured Poet, Gemini Ink, San Antonio, TX
* Featured Poet, Three Rivers Community College, CT
* Honoree, American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education Conference, TX
* Co-Reader, AWP ACENTOS: A Gathering and Celebration of Latino and Latina Poets
* Keynote Speaker, Langston Hughes Community Poetry Reading. Mystic Arts Center
* Poetry Reader Acentos Bronx Poetry Showcase. The Bruckner Bar and Grill
* Poetry Celebration Keynote Speaker, Cumberland County College, New Jersey
* Featured Poet, Hygienic Gallery, New London, CT
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, Connecticut
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Wright State University
* Featured Poet, Connecticut College
* Keynote Speaker. Hispanic Heritage Month. Eastern Connecticut State University. “Latinos as Aliens”
* Presenter. FWPCA Conference: "But Why Those Five Latino Films?" Las Vegas, NV
* Keynote Speaker, Hispanic Heritage Month, Capitol Community College. “The Evolution of the Term ‘Latino’”
* Workshop Presenter. National Association of Multicultural Education. “From ESL Classroom to the Halls of Academia.” Farmington, CT
* Workshop Presenter. Yale University Institute for Latin American Studies. "Latino Literature and Authors from the Caribbean"
* Presenter. Boston College Diversity Challenge. "Teaching Intercultural Conflict: The Case of Latinos"
With students at Harvard University following speech at East Coast
Chicano Student Forum Conference
For more information on booking Jose B. Gonzalez, contact: